Applying 2C Oil
If only one or two people are applying the oil, we recommend that an area of 50-100 sq ft is processed at a time. 2C Oil when using both components, Part A and Part B only needs 3 minutes to bond, and 5 minutes when using Part A only.
For a four-person crew, with two people to take care of the perimeter work and two people, when using a buffer working in tandem spaced 3 minutes apart when using both Part A & B, or 5 minutes apart for Part A only, there is no need to select a specific size area. Simply start and continue work to completion.
- Do not flood the floor with oil. Use just enough oil to wet the surface to achieve thorough coverage. Remember that 2C Oil attaches directly to the wood fibers, it does not have to penetrate deeply, nor does it have to leave a film.
- Perimeter Areas - With a brush, sponge or preferably the removable 4" center section of the buffer pad, spread a strip of 2C oil along the wall and any other place that is difficult to reach with a buffer. This application should coincide with the buffer procedure.
- Spread the oil using a standard buffer with a red or white pad. *For the initial use, squeeze enough oil on to the pad for an easier start.
- Squeeze a line of oil (2-3 feet only) parallel with the planks, using a minimum amount. Spread the oil with the buffer until you can see that more oil is needed.
- Before squeezing more oil, buff the wet area again to ensure an even application
- Continue application until 50 sq ft if using A & B, or 100 sq ft if using Part A only, is coated with oil.
- Immediately buff the entire completed area with the wet pad, without adding more oil, to ensure consistent coverage.
Note: Some wood species, like Douglas Fir, will naturally absorb more oil, and pre-finishing treatments can make the wood grain very open or dry, which causes more absorption. While doing step #4 above, check for any dry spots or for an uneven appearance. Only if necessary, squeeze a small amount of oil onto the spots and spread with the buffer. When the appearance of the section is consistent, buff the entire area one last time and continue with the application.